1. Being a better communicator. I love my family and friends, and think of them often. But do they really know how much they mean to me? I'm ashamed to say I have a tendency to treat the phone like kryptonite. And let's be real, I'm no superman.
2. Trying new things. It's easy for me to play it safe and go with what I already know and love (Painting all 10 fingernails the same color! Eating pizza sans scary toppings like arugula or eggplant!). But stepping outside my comfort zone can have fabulous results. (see below)
3. Making exercise and healthy eating a consistent priority. I can't say I love making time for the gym when my to-do list is a million miles long and I'm already feeling sleep deprived. And boy is it hard to ignore my raging sweet tooth in favor of (gulp) fruits and vegetables. Well, it's time for some willpower! I need to rock a wedding dress come summer!
I had a great opportunity to check off both 2 & 3 this morning by giving Travis's post-workout protein shake a try. I'd been avoiding it because 1. it's full of my nemesis: spinach and 2. it's an absolutely ungodly shade of green. Drinks should not be green. (Notable exceptions include fruity alcoholic beverages. See? I'm flexible!) So, I was a little put off. But I'm trying new things! And it's healthy! So I asked him to make me one today, and surprise surprise...it's both filling and delish!
At around 300 calories and 30 grams of protein it's great for recovery after a long sweat-sesh and will probably be my new quickie-lunch favorite. Just, you know, served in a travel mug so I don't have to look at it.
Here's the basic recipe that T found online on Fit2Fat2Fit's YouTube channel:
- large handful of spinach
- half a banana
- 3/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- spoonful of almond butter
- 1 scoop of protein powder (we used Gold Standard 100% Whey in Vanilla)
- 1 cup of ice
*Blend until smooth...disguise in colorful glassware or lidded mug...enjoy!
Happy 2012! What are you working on this new year?